Shol fish or channa striata is a cannibalistic freshwater fish. This fish found all over the south Asian countries. They are available in pond, plunge, canal, swamp, marsh, paddy field and almost all types of water. Shol fish is very strong and hardy. They also known as shoal fish, channa striata, shoul fish, snakehead fishetc. Physical characteristics, classification, food habit, diseases and breeding of this fish are described below.
The physical characteristics of shol fish are described below.
- The color of their body is blackish or brown.
- Body is cylindrical and long.
- There are many scales in the body of this fish.
- The front side of their head is angled like snake. As a result they are called snake head fish.
- Blackish tint available in the whole body of this fish.
- Caudal fin looks like sickle.
- There are teeth in the jaw.
- Backside is black colored and lower side is brown colored.
- Dorsal fin is long and there is a fishbone.
- Anal fin is long and there is no fishbone.
- Tail is unseparated.
- Lateral line is curved.
- Shol fish has an extra lungs.
Shol fish is mainly carnivorous but omnivorous fish. The baby fish eat zooplankton but when they become adult they eat snail, insects and small sized fish. Even, they also eat their own species. Along with this they also eat supplementary feed like fishmeal, cake, rice dust etc.
No Review is Found
Give a Review
You must have to login to give a review